{'Mentally it's killing me': Alex de Minaur on verge of ATP Finals elimination after third-set meltdown
Alex de Minaur's aspirations of advancing to the ATP Finals semi-finals are dangling by a slender margin after a gut-wrenching defeat in three sets to Lorenzo Musetti.
Devastating Loss in Turin
The seventh-ranked player succumbed 7-5 3-6 7-5 after being unable to close out the match, keeping the Italian to stay alive in the tournament and now leaving the Australian requiring to convincingly beat Taylor Fritz in his third and final group match to reach the semi-finals.
Mental Demons Threaten Career
But confronting Fritz in two days' time is the least of de Minaur's pressing worries as the Sydney native concedes he must address the mental demons that threaten to cruel his career.
A loser of all six of his major tournament quarter-final appearances, the twenty-six-year-old was unable to disguise his distress after suffering yet another crucial opportunity slipping away with his finals destiny in his own hands.
"I'm uncertain how many times I can handle a loss like this one," de Minaur said in Turin. "I just have to talk to my team and try to sort out these problems because these are challenges that cannot continue occurring."
Career Crossroads
"Essentially, if I really want to be serious about advancing to the next level in my career, these matches, I can't lose them. I just must not. It seems as if I've been defeated in a lot of them this year. More than anything, it's getting to a point where psychologically it's destroying me."
Characterizing his feelings as "quite dark", de Minaur lamented a succession of third-set slip-ups in 2025 and said he must discover methods to win the close matches.
Recent Setbacks
The Australia No 1's run of devastating defeats include:
- Recent 6-3 4-6 7-6 (7-5) outcome against Alexander Bublik at the Paris Masters
- Closely-contested US Open quarter-final loss to Felix Auger-Aliassime
- Semi-final in Monte Carlo against Musetti
- Squandered two-set lead against Bublik at the French Open
- Defeated in a third-set tiebreaker to Andrey Rublev in the Doha semi-finals
"I continue investing everything into these matches," de Minaur commented. "Whenever the outcome isn't positive, it's hard to keep pushing through."
Immediate Solution Needed
"This is an issue that if it isn't resolved, it's going to eat me alive. I must get it sorted sooner rather than later."
Upcoming Challenge
De Minaur and Fritz are tied at five wins each in previous encounters, though the American world No 6 won their meeting in this prestigious tournament last year.
The Australian's chances remain flickering after Fritz suffered a 6-7 (2-7) 7-5 6-3 loss to Carlos Alcaraz that guaranteed the Spaniard would progress to the semi-finals as the victor of the Jimmy Connors group.
Championship Consequences
The world No 2's win, having already knocked over de Minaur, put Alcaraz a single victory away of claiming the year-end top ranking from Jannik Sinner.
Even if he loses to Musetti in his final group match, Alcaraz will reclaim the world No 1 ranking except if Sinner, who defeated Auger-Aliassime in his first match on Monday, goes unbeaten to retain his ATP Finals title.
"I will try not to think about it," said Alcaraz. "This will represent a extremely important match for me. I will try not to let the nerves play a bad time in the match. I will think about my objectives, about feeling much better than today."